Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Naturally Me...

So I'm only double blogging today because I told you that I'd let you know why I decided to go natural. A little background into this is that I've had relaxed hair since Form 3 (2004). I've always been annoyed by the lengthy process of getting a perm- not the perm itself but the waiting at the Salon for an entire day even if you arrived first. This was just too much for me! The hide-and-go seek with the rain, the hair "turning back" after two weeks!!! Can you get the gist?

But here is the insight:
So it's December 10th, this is the big day. The day I decide to get rid of my long, flowing natural hair, as I walked they sway gently in the breeze, flawless, swishing from side to side- ok needle scratch. I didn't really have them blowing in the wind,  they were long but in horrible condition.. These tresses had spent most of the six months buried and stifling under braids. Then, like a swimmer coming up and gasping for air, was the tale of the hair that screamed "let me out!" So I did, but little did they know what was about to come. I'm sweating and mentally I'm a mess as my brain engages in tug-of-war- my mind is in overdrive- the fact that the stylist tried to dissuade me did not help. She  pleaded with me not to cut them and offered to rescue my lifeless, halfway hair and nurse them back to health, assuring me she had done this before, she packed success under her belt.\The guns are slinging and the time is running out- should I or should I not? I hear myself say I won't. It was over- to the relaxer I go. But, by a stroke of fate,  I either spoke too softly or too late because instead of the feel of relaxer in my hair straightening my roots, I heard and felt the clip of scissors and I was completing the mission I had begun in my mind. In less than a few my hair went from on my head to on the ground despite all the care and precision I took with them someone wasn't and they were being pushed around on the dirty floor and into the bin they went. Bittersweet I believe is the word you're looking for- but this my friend was the beginning of something beautiful. 

In all I have done what I should’ve done since a year ago! Started my natural hair journey! Back to my roots you say! Well Yup! I am synomously re-creating life lessons through my hair. Thus, my hair represents the dawn of a new period in my life! At 20, Changes have begun and this ushers in another decade of my life where risks must be taken, chances embraced and patience maximized! Many may still be in shock and awe as to why my long tresses are now in a garbage somewhere and as to why I traded them for kinky curls! J Well there you go! I’m anticipating this new beginning where my hair is going to teach me the beauty of trial and error, chances, patience through combing and styling, joy and celebrating me- for who I am! Kinks and all! Today I celebrate being one month natural and I love it.


Grace and  Peace
Shanelle.

5 comments:

  1. Woot Woot! Done with the hair crack lol! Proud of you baby girl! I'm on my journey too and I'm loving every inch of it and as is so prevalent in life not everyone is going to support your decision but guess whose decision it is? And I know this won't be the last 'big' decision you're going to make. Wuv u! All the best! Blessings!

    iSha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks love! Glad you love and thanks for the blog love as well!!! :D :D
    It is indeed the beginning and helps you realise not every decision you make someone is going to like but you live to please you and God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyyy, good for u Shanelle, u ppl inspire me to STAY natural :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I can help! LOL which in this case means lots of love lol!

    ReplyDelete